Self-Closing for Automatic Waterers, No-Lead
Patent No. US 3,523,549 - 3,672,392 - 222,459
Several important improvements have been made on the self-closing hydrant over the years. These improvements and the basic design are why we believe the self-closing is the best hydrant of its type in the industry.
* 1) Self-Closing stainless steel spring and water pressure closes hydrant.
Benefit - Hydrant shuts off so water is not wasted. Ideal for public use.
2) Locks Open or Closed simply push lock button to lock hydrant open or closed.
Benefit - Hydrant can be locked to restrict use if needed.
3) Brass or No-Lead Brass Hose Adapter heavy-duty hose adapter for standard 3/4" hose coupling. Interchangeable with head plug for easier plumbing attachment when needed.
Benefit - Standard garden hose thread in long life non-corrosive brass or no-lead brass.
4) Extra Thick Walled Head Casting greatly reduces breakage and ensures longer life.
Benefit - Withstands years of use and rough service.
* 5) Head Plug can be installed in front of head casting simply by changing places with hose adapter.
Benefit - Provides easier plumbing attachment when needed.
6) Cap Screws hydrants manufactured after 11/1/77 will have 3/8" x 5/16" self-locking socket head cap screws, and assembled with a locking sealant.
Benefit - Provides strong hold for hydrant head to pipe for years of service.
7) High Quality Galvanized Pipe 1" extra heavy pipe on outside and galvanized pipe on inside.
Benefit - Corrosion protected for long life.
8) No Exposed Threads on inside pipe or outside pipe.
Benefit - No uncoated metal to rust for longest life.
* 9) Cast Iron Body with Stainless Steel Sleeve for plunger seals to travel in, and pressed into heavy cast iron valve body for strength and economy.
Benefit - Smoother sealing surface for plunger seals, with longest life.
* 10) Solid Brass Plunger hydrants manufactured after 11/1/78 will have (3) ethylene propylene quad ring seals, self-lubricating and never come out of adjustment, have longer life and withstand higher pressures.
Benefit - Longest operating life plunger of its type.
* 11) Swivel Parts permit withdrawal of all moving parts without digging up hydrant. A 3/16" hex key will allow disassembly of hydrant by simply removing two cap screws and pull up inside pipe with plunger for inspection.
Benefit - Very easy to repair, simple reliable design.
* Exclusive Merrill Quality Features
NOTE: Recommended Maximum Operating Pressure 60 psi (Due to Self-Closing Design). Flow Control Valve Available.